Texas Women

Keeping you in the know about issues affecting Texas women.

7.19.2005

Is "the Man" Keeping An Eye on You?

Being that I didn't experience the early civil rights, women's rights, and environmental rights movements, I never really understood the concept of the "the man" keeping you down, or spying on you, or anything like that. To me those words conjure up movies with a wacky old radical who doesn't know that the fight is over. But you know what, it turns out that wacky old radical just might be right-- the fight isn't over! The FBI is still keeping tabs on the political activities of several activist groups, including the ACLU, Greenpeace, and United for Peace and Justice (all groups that are critical of the current administration's policies). See the full article here. In some ways I feel like I've stepped into a time machine.

However, with he new measures (and mandates) provided our law enforcement agencies to fight the "war on terror", this new encroachment on our civil liberties has a very modern feel to it. I want our citizenry to be safe. And I've had to think about how much can/should we sacrifice to provide that safety. My answer: less than we already have.

It brings to mind the Benjamin Franklin quote that is so often used today "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home